Saturday 19 November 2011

There are good people in the world

This morning I was at my local mall and was waiting for a coffee when I saw an elderly couple sitting down at a nearby table. Well they weren't actually sitting down. He was using all of his might to help his wife into the chair and then he picked her up under the arms and moved her back into the chair. He then rearranged the table in front of her so she couldn't slide out. He then reached into a bag and took out a bib and placed it around her neck. He kissed her on the cheek and then walked over to the greengrocers and picked up a basket to do his shopping. They both would have been in their 70's or 80's and he was very lean but still used all of his might to help her around. I got my coffee and approached him and I said that I couldn't help but notice how lovely he was and that he was amazing. I asked if I could help him do his shopping but he just smiled. He said that his wife lives at The House with No Steps and for 35 years he has picked her up on a Saturday morning and takes her to the shops so she can get out and about. He didn't complain. He just smiled and wanted to know all about me.

I little piece of my heart cried when I heard his story. What a beautiful, kind man. All of those years helping his wife, when he was elderly himself. What perfect love. What giving, selfless love. I hope I see them again next Saturday. Maybe he will take me up on my offer to help next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment